l2mYDF’s Charitable Mission:
Acquire, restore, and preserve historic
America’s Cup l2m yachts and their racing heritage
January 1, 2015
In 2006, we created the 12m Yacht Development Foundation “l2mYDF” – whose Charitable Mission is to “acquire, restore, and preserve historic America’s Cup Class l2m yachts and their match racing heritage.” I am pleased to report that your ongoing contributions and support have made it possible for us to remain true to our cause with determined vigor, growth and success.
12mYDF was conceived in Greenwich, Connecticut on the Western end of Long Island which has had such a significant historical contribution to the America’s Cup and the maritime history of the United States. Our foundation began with the acquisition, restoration and preservation of our first America’s Cup Class 12m yacht America II / US42 (2007) whose syndicate campaigned in the 1987 America’s Cup in Perth, Australia. We then acquired Lionheart /K18 (2010) which challenged for Great Britain in the 1980 America’s Cup in Newport, RI and in (2014) we acquired Freedom / US30 – winner of the 1980 America’s Cup. With your continued help we plan to actively continue our foundations acquisitions of other historic America’s Cup Class yachts and the preservations of their match racing traditions.
Over the last 8 years our historic yachts have been engaged in creating and supporting many educational initiatives and cause related programs which currently include the following milestones:
- Raised over $1.97m in enabled charitable giving with our America’s Cup yachts as live auction items for our
- Enlarged our educational Match Race Programs in cooperation with the JSA (Junior Sailing Association of LI)
- Delivered leadership and team building programs for major corporate patrons such as: GenRe/Berkshire many major charitable patrons like the Hole in the Wall Gang Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and Outward Bound, USA- becoming one of Fairfield County’s largest charitable donors. at major yacht clubs such as Seawanhaka-Corinthian, American, Pequot, Norwalk, Noroton to name a few. Hathaway, Swiss Re; M&M Mars, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and many more.
As a 501c3 Public Foundation sustaining our annual growth and development can only be made possible through the continued contributions of our many dedicated patrons, benefactors and partner charities. The major goals of our 8th Annual Appeal are to:
- Acquire and consolidate the America’s Cup Class 12m Fleet between Greenwich and Newport.
- Broaden and deepen our educational sail and match race clinics among the yacht clubs of Long Island Sound for young sailors of the JSA, other sailing enthuasists and from executive training and leadership programs of schools, colleges and major corporations
- Enhance our restoration and preservation efforts of our historic America’s Cup class 12m yachts including engine, hydraulic systems, instrument replacement, hull paint and bottom work, as well as sail and rigging
In addition, our other long terms goals include:
- Building an Annual Endowment through new major benefactors and donors.
- Expand America’s Cup Class “Match Racing” opportunities for all to enjoy.
- Broaden our Annual America’s Cup Class l2m events fostering an increasing historical awareness of the history of the America’s Cup in the Long Island Sound area.
Your generous support for l2mYDF’s 8th Annual Appeal & Offering Memorandum below will help make a significant impact on the success of our charitable mission in preserving our historic yachts and traditions of the America’s Cup! Sound for young sailors of the JSA, other sailing enthuasists and from executive training and leadership programs of schools, colleges and major corporations engine, hydraulic systems, instrument replacement, hull paint and bottom work, as well as sail and rigging history of the America’s Cup in the Long Island Sound area.
Executive Director / Trustee
l2m Yacht Development Foundation
10 Homewood Lane, Darien, Connecticut 06820 USA
"ENVIRONMENTAL STATEMENT: The Foundation is committed to teaching and maintaining the highest standard of environmental stewardship in Long Island Sound, and is a "zero discharge" operation."
THE DELAMAR - GREENWICH HARBOR
Why not take advantage of the special Delamar Spring offer?
See here for details.
Related Sailing Sites