11th Annual Appeal
Over the last 10 years our historic yachts have been engaged in producing and supporting many educational initiatives and cause related programs which include the following milestones:
- Raised over $3.34m in enabled charitable giving with our America’s Cup yachts used as live auction items for many major charitable foundations like the AMERICARES, Waxman Cancer Research Foundation, Hole in the Wall Gang Foundation, Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and Outward Bound, USA – becoming one of Fairfield County’s largest charitable donors.
- Enlarged our educational Match Race Programs in cooperation with the JSA (Junior Sailing Association of LI) at major yacht clubs such as Seawanhaka-Corinthian, American, Pequot, Norwalk, Noroton and Branford to name a few.
- Delivered leadership and team building programs to major corporate patrons such as: GenRe/Berkshire Hathaway, Swiss Re; M&M Mars, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and many more.
As a 501c3 Public Foundation sustaining our annual growth and development has only be made possible through the continued contributions of our many dedicated patrons, benefactors and partner charities.
The major goals of our 11th Annual Appeal is to:
- Acquire and consolidate the America’s Cup Class I2m Fleet between Greenwich and Newport.
- Broaden and deepen our educational sail and match race clinics among the many yacht clubs of Long Island Sound for young sailors of USS, the JSA, other sailing enthuasists and from executive training and leadership programs at schools, colleges and major corporations
- Enhance our restoration and preservation efforts of our historic America’s Cup class I2m yachts and their support vessels.
In addition, our long terms goals include:
- Building an Annual Endowment with major new benefactors and donors.
- Expand America’s Cup Class “Match Racing” opportunities for all to enjoy.
- Broaden our Annual America’s Cup Class 12m events while enhancing our historical awareness of the history of the America’s Cup in the Long Island Sound area, as it contributes to the maritime history of the United States.
Your support for l2mYDF’s 11th Annual Appeal & Offering Memorandum will make a significant impact on the success of our charitable mission preserving the historic 12m yachts and best traditions of the America’s Cup!
I2mYDF – 11th Annual Appeal & Offering Memorandum
*Acquire/ Consolidate the America’s Cup Class I2m Fleet between Greenwich and Newport
Discussions and plans are underway with our Newport I2m affiliates on a historic transition which will maintain the Newport I2m presence under our 501c3 charitable framework in combination with our current Greenwich, Ct and a new Oyster Bay, NY, and NYC operation.
$250,000.00 / $500,000.00
Launch & Establish l2mYDF Endowment
Build permanent interest baring endowment to continue to help fund the acquisition, restoration and preservation of historic America’s Cup Class l2m Yachts, their traditions, and ongoing program development requirements.
I2m Off-Season “Requirements” for l2m K18 > Dec 20l6- March 15th 20I7
Winterizing –preferred out of water, shrink wrapping including bottom cleaning, removal and de-rigging of l2m masts for restoration, general winter hull and bottom restoration, continued restore of hydraulic systems . Update our 24’ Novurania tow Rib – refurbished our Yamaha 200 hp Engine, acquire repair and restore sails –replace wired to wireless electronic instruments, restore bilge systems – maintain insurance/storage, upgrade web/marketing/ mgmt./operations.
Spring “Requirements” for l2m K18 > Mar 16th – April 20th, 20I7 –
Spring prep- Includes customary bottom repairs and restoration -apply antifouling paint, execute topside and new deck paint, repack, repair keel and trim tab bearings, de winterize tender engines, repair and clean speed and depth senders on l2m K18, paint and refit mast, re-rig and launch l2m – execute sea trials – maintain insurance / storage, upgrade web/marketing /mgmt./ operations
Summer/Fall “Requirements” l2m K18 > April 21st–November 15th, 20l7
Ongoing dock repairs and maintenance, stain and refurbish docks, locate and set 2 deep moorings at IHYC, ongoing I2m bottom and topside cleaning, sail repairs and customary seasonal rehab, maintain Tender/Rib Yamaha Engine, install Bimini top, radio, and front tow post capabilities. Maintain insurance/ storage /fuel, enlarge l2m on water match race program marketing /mgmt./operations.
I2mYDF -11th Annual Appeal & Offering Memorandum
Additional ways and options to contribute tax exempt annual support
Benefactors – Suggested levels of involvement
Endeavor Society: $100,000.00 -$250,000.00
Admiral’s Club: $50,000.00-$100,000.00
Flag Officer: $10,000.00- $25,000.00
Patrons- Suggested levels of involvement
Captain: $5000.00 > $10,000.00
Helmsmen: $3000.00 > $5,000.00
Crew: $1000.00 -$3000.00
Sponsor I2m Programs & Annual “Cups” – Match Races, Fleet Regattas & Executive Leadership Programs
Your organization can deliver our foundation tax exempt annual financial support through the use of our America’s Cup I2m yachts, I2m match racing pairs, and “signature” I2m fleet regatta’s in the creation of signature I2m “tax exempt” event or program.
Each year, generous contributions to the Annual Fund help assist and sustain the 12YDF operating general operating expenses and l2m sail education programs. The Annual Fund also provides essential ongoing funding to cover the costs of a small 2 person year round operations staff, part-time accounting, marine insurance, crew costs, communications and marketing, secured and unsecured note repayments, credentials renewal, and membership administration
Charitable Giving and Getting -Financial Assistance Programs
We contribute significant annual financial support through the use of our America’s Cup I2m yachts, I2m match racing pairs, and “signature” I2m fleet regatta’s through your charity or foundations live auction event or benefit. l2mYDF in fact annually enables the contribution of hundreds and thousands of dollars – significantly more dollars than it actually takes in received giving.
With some planning, you can ensure that the l2mYDF programs you care about will be sustained for future generations. You may be able to increase your charitable deductions, or benefit from additional income during your lifetime, while contributing more than you may have thought possible to l2mYDF.
Gifts of Stock or Securities
A gift of appreciated stock, bonds, or mutual funds, if you have held them for more than a year, will provide a greater benefit to l2mYDF while avoiding capital gains taxes. l2mYDF would be pleased to assist you in transferring securities to support the l2mYDF program of your choice.
In addition to support for the l2mYDF operations and education programs, donors may designate gifts to a range of special projects at l2mYDF.
To designate your gift to a particular area of interest, including:
- Education, VIP lectures, and special clinics
- New I2m acquisitions, restoration, and preservation projects
- I2m sail clinics, and curriculum development
- Infrastructure facilities or another special project
Endowed funds support l2mYDF programs in perpetuity and minimize the foundations dependence on annual donations. Endowments include dedicated funds for new I2m acquisitions, training crew and I2m sail instructors, facilities, I2m education program, and special programs. l2mYDF encourages donors to support an existing scholarship endowment – or create your own endowment legacy at l2mYDF.
Scholarship and Intern Support
Donors may contribute to the l2mYDF Scholarship Fund which provides current-season support to l2mYDF youth sailing camps, clinics and programs based on financial need. l2mYDF also encourages donations to endowed funds, which pay out a percentage each year to guarantee scholarship funding in perpetuity.
You can ensure income during your lifetime, as well as a charitable deduction, through a charitable lead trust, charitable gift annuity, charitable remainder annuity trust, or deferred gift annuity. Other assets, including retirement accounts, life insurance policies or real estate, can create a lasting legacy at l2mYDF while minimizing the tax burden for you or your estate. Major Planned Gift donors are recognized in the l2mYDF Endeavor Society. If you think one of these strategies might benefit you and the l2mYDF, please contact l2mYDF for more information.
Boat or Marine Equipment Donations
Donate your boat or marine equipment tax exempt to help support l2mYDF development programs and train the next generation of inspired America’s Cup sailors.
Bequests—Including l2mYDF in Your Will
A bequest provision in your will or revocable trust will ensure that the l2mYDF programs you are passionate about today will continue for future generations. Bequests may include cash, property, or a residual share of your estate. Major supporters who have included l2mYDF in their estate plans are recognized in the l2mYDF Endeavor Society.